Posted by Kinsey's Outdoors on 03/18/19
Pennsylvania Spring Trout Series Ep 1
By: The Everyday Outdoorsmen
Welcome to the Kinsey's Outdoors PA Spring Trout Series! In this first episode, Grant Forney of The Everday Outdoorsmen is getting all his gear ready for the upcoming trout season here in Pennsylvania. Grant and Herschel buy some gear at Kinsey's and then Grant gives a full rundown of his setups and other gear for trout fishing in Pennsylvania.
- Shakespeare Ugly GX2 Rod and Reel Combo 5ft 2- piece lite action rod.
- Berkley Trilene 4lb Test.
- Eagle Claw Size 8 Baitholder Hooks.
- Water Gremlin Round Split Shot in various sizes.
- Berkley Powerbait (We prefer Green/Chartreuse) and Gulp.
- Rooster Tail Spinners. (All Colors) (We prefer white, black, and pink)
Fly Fishing Gear
- A 5 weight fly rod is a good all around weight rod for trout. The length can be determined by the size of the waterways that you're fishing. We recommend anywhere from 7 1/2 ft to 10 ft in length.
- A mid or large arbor reel with a basic drag system will suffice. Just make sure the reel balances out your rod.
- Manufactured leaders in 7 1/2 to 9 ft in length that are tapered down to the appropriate size tippet will do. In most cases for trout that will be 4x or 5x tippet. We recommend having extra spools of tippet ranging in size from 3x to 7x.
- A vest, sling, or fanny pack to hold an assortment of tackle.
- Dry fly floatant, nippers, forceps, strike indicators, extra leaders and a net are all types of accessories that are helpful to have in your pack.
- Having an assortment of flies will help increase your odds of catching fish. We recommend carrying dry flies, nymphs, and streamers. (woolly buggers, egg patterns, san juan worms, pheasant tail nymphs, hares ear nymphs) You never know what you'll encounter while on the water.
- Waders - hip or chest waders will do based on the size of the waterway you're fishing.
Stay tuned for the next episode we're going to be talking about trout fishing spots and opportunities in Pennsylvania. You're not going to want to miss this one. And remember in the meantime to get your gear ready!